[OSGeo-Edu] Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] Introdution tutorials

Pericles S. Nacionales naci0002 at umn.edu
Tue Feb 27 11:59:48 EST 2007

On Tuesday 27 February 2007 09:50, P Kishor wrote:
> <note about IRC>
> Fixing a time for IRC meetings has always been a problem, given that
> there are members on the West coast of NA and in Japan. 8am had worked
> for us a few times, but anytime would be difficult for someone or the
> other. Slowly we evolved to discussing issues on the list. I don't
> know about others, but I personally find IRC chats to be very chaotic.
> I can respect that they work for others, but the list is simply a
> better medium to compose thoughtful responses even if it lacks the
> immediacy of IRC.
>
> We haven't heard from anyone else, nevertheless, I am available and
> will come on the IRC on Thurs, Mar 1.
> </note about IRC>

Ideally, we decide the time that can accomodate the most people who are
interested and willing to help.  Most OSGeo committees have their meetings in
mid-morning to early afternoon in the US (afternoon/evening in Europe, night
in Asia) and it seems to work well.  It would be nice to hear some input in
this regard.

I wouldn't mind email except I could barely keep up with them and they get
buried and forgotten.

Anyway, March 1st, 8:00AM US Central Standard it is.  I'm hoping Frank, Markus
and/or Arnulf (as seven) will be there as well.

-Perry

> The item on the agenda is not contentious actually. It is pretty
> straightforward. Gary Watry asked on the main OSGeo list (and I quote)
> --
>
> > 1. Is the loading of tutorials on the osgeo website still the
> > concept or is just linking to other sites the plan?
> >
> > 2. how and where does someone go about doing this?
>
> To which, Tyler replied (I am quoting an excerpt) --
>
> > I'd suggest that the Edu. group start an educational library with
> > public domain downloads available and put yours in there.

> > Anyone from the Web Committee, including myself, can help get
> > the files online for you when ready.
>
> First, Tyler answered the first part of the 1st question that Gary
> asked, and the 2nd question as it relates to the first part. In that,
> if someone wants to host their material on the OSGeo website, they can
> do so in a library with "public domain" dowloads, and someone can
> readily assist them with that task. Regarding the 2nd part of the 1st
> question, anyone with a wiki login can create a link to material
> hosted on their own server. In fact, anyone with a wiki login can even
> categorize and arrange the links into some logical arrangement.
>
> My response with regards to hosting was that it is just too
> problematic given the reasons I outlined. Licensing itself is a major
> roadblock. Determining whether or not a package is in "public domain"
> becomes an onerous responsibility -- who will do that? What if the
> person who created the material and wants OSGeo to host it but is not
> willing to put it in "public domain"? In fact, we've had this
> discussion in the past about licensing.
>
> My strong belief is that linking is the easiest, quickest, and so many
> benefits accrue from doing that. If the links list becomes chaotic, as
> Ned suggested, it is possible to loosely categorize them. In my view,
> something simple, perhaps doing so by licenses -- "completely free aka
> public domain" and "free but no commercial use" might be enough
> categories. I will be happy to do this categorization.
>
> I also believe that uploading should be made available to those who
> many not have the resources to host their own material. However, for
> that, OSGeo has to display a clear stance on what are willing to host,
> mainly with regards to relevance, appropriateness, quality standards,
> and licensing. Either that, or a disclaimer about the hosted contents
> should be provided. There are, however, so many issues with hosting
> content that it really makes me shudder. What if, some third party's
> hosted binary content contains a virus and destroys the user's
> computer? Whose liability is that? In my view, OSGeo should host only
> the content that it produces. By "it" I mean a set of OSGeo members
> collaborating and producing a package in a public process open to all
> for participation, vetted properly, and given an OSGeo quality
> assurance badge.
>
> I am happy to be educated otherwise, and welcome others' thoughts.

Perry Nacionales
Dept. of Forest Resources
University of Minnesota
naci0002 at umn.edu