[OSGeo-Edu] Re: UMass Amherst educational material -- a status report

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sun Mar 4 07:56:38 EST 2007

Hi Puneet-

> You might want to convert the slideshows to something platform
> agnostic such as PDF, or even the html generated by Powerpoint.
Well, if I made those available, I'd probably offer them in Open Office
Impress. The issue for me is that I need to check for copyright issues
on some of the graphics. They fell under fair use when I use them in the
regular classroom, but putting them on OSGEO would obviously need to
make sure they were all graphics from the public domain.

> > OSGEO site. This would be sometime this summer.
>
> I would encourage you to put whatever you have sooner instead of
> later, unless you have other restrictions or reasons. If your material
> is still in flux, you can always link to it from the OSGeo wiki. You
> have all the flexibility.
That's the main issue -- we're still developing the second half of the
course. If I make a link to our wiki and material, it is easy to get to
the main page and see the material not yet complete. I'd rather not
allow that.

If you'd like me to move the completed stuff to the OSGEO wiki, I can,
but we should begin the review process. I thought I would do this after
my students have gone through the material so that they sort of act as
one level of review to help clean up problematic text.

But let me know if you want me to move completed exercises and
assignments over to some OSGEO "not reviewed by OSGEO" section of the
OSGEO EDU wiki. I'd be happy to do that. It will require moving
Mediawiki pages, uploaded images (graphics) and data. It might be a
little tedious unless there is a way to batch copy from one mediawiki to
another.

I'll also look into how I can check copyright issues on lecture slides
and see if I can do anything to clean those up so those can be made
available. But this will take some time, and might not be until the
summer.

Cheers
Charlie

--