[OSGeo-Edu] New OSGeo education web pages and meeting summary

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Tue Oct 2 05:30:55 EDT 2007

Charlie Schweik kirjoitti:
> Well, as I said in the meeting this all caught me by surprise. And
> Puneet's statements are correct -- face-to-face does make a difference!
> And I want to say publicly to him that we are appreciative of the
> efforts he has taken over the last couple years. It's hard to mobilize
> virtual cats!
>
> But I see two possible paths here:
>
> (1) Puneet and I try, over the next year, a co-chair situation; or

Interestingly, when I read from the bylaws(*) about the committees, it
seems that the chair should always be a director of the foundation(?!):
"The Board of Directors may, by resolution carried with the necessary
vote, establish one or more Project Steering Committees consisting of at
least one officer or one director of the corporation, who shall be
designated the chairperson of such committee, and may include one or
more other individuals who may be members of the corporation or other
persons who shall be selected by the Board of Directors or the
chairperson of the committee based on their individual merit and
contributions to the relevant project. Unless elected or appointed as an
officer or admitted as a member in accordance with these Bylaws, a
member of a Project Steering Committee shall not be deemed an officer or
a member of the corporation. The Board of Directors of the corporation
may, by resolution carried with the necessary vote, terminate a Project
Management Committee at any time. A Project Steering Committee shall not
be considered a committee of the Board of Directors. A Project Steering
Committee may not have and may not exercise any of the power and
authority of the Board of Directors."

thus, if it is constitutional, I second this and vote +1 from me

> (2) We develop an election process (is there one)?

According to the bylaws, the chair is nominated by the board, but I
guess if we vote and suggest a new chair or chairs, the board listens.
Here are the minutes of the meeting which nominated Puneet:
http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation//meetings/board/2006/2006-03-24_BOD.pdf

(*) http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Geoinformaatio- ja paikannustekniikka / Geoinformation and positioning