[OSGeo-Edu] New OSGeo education web pages and meeting summary

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 08:39:55 EDT 2007

On 10/2/07, Ari Jolma <ari.jolma at tkk.fi> wrote:
> Charlie Schweik kirjoitti:
> > Well, as I said in the meeting this all caught me by surprise. And
> > Puneet's statements are correct -- face-to-face does make a difference!
> > And I want to say publicly to him that we are appreciative of the
> > efforts he has taken over the last couple years. It's hard to mobilize
> > virtual cats!
> >
> > But I see two possible paths here:
> >
> > (1) Puneet and I try, over the next year, a co-chair situation; or
> >

> Interestingly, when I read from the bylaws(*) about the committees, it
> seems that the chair should always be a director of the foundation(?!):
> "The Board of Directors may, by resolution carried with the necessary
> vote, establish one or more Project Steering Committees consisting of at
> least one officer or one director of the corporation, who shall be
> designated the chairperson of such committee, and may include one or
> more other individuals who may be members of the corporation or other
> persons who shall be selected by the Board of Directors or the
> chairperson of the committee based on their individual merit and
> contributions to the relevant project. Unless elected or appointed as an
> officer or admitted as a member in accordance with these Bylaws, a
> member of a Project Steering Committee shall not be deemed an officer or
> a member of the corporation.

This is where things were confusing, at least to me. I, for example,
could be a "member" of the committee (after all, I was chairing the
committee) and was noted as an "officer" of the corporation, but was
not a "member" of the corporation. Then I realized that I was a
"member" by virtue of having self-registered at the OSGeo website.
Only much later did I become a "Charter member."

> The Board of Directors of the corporation
> may, by resolution carried with the necessary vote, terminate a Project
> Management Committee at any time.

Interesting use of the term "Project Management Committee" while
discussing "Project Steering Committee" all throughout. Is this a typo
-- was it meant to be PSC instead of PMC?

> A Project Steering Committee shall not
> be considered a committee of the Board of Directors. A Project Steering
> Committee may not have and may not exercise any of the power and
> authority of the Board of Directors."
>
> thus, if it is constitutional, I second this and vote +1 from me

Thanks Ari, but I have come to the realization that it is time for new
energy and leadership, and for me to continue to contribute as a
"regular" member of the committee. I have read Tyler's process for
establishing a new Chair, and I will be happy to make a motion for a
new Chair as soon as we have a volunteer.

I want to concentrate on my Ph.D. and my budding consulting work, so I
will be pressed for time with regard to Chair-ship responsibilities,
and I certainly don't envision being able to be present physically at
the future FOSS4G events without financial support.

Interestingly, the bylaws also mention the following --

"Section 3.4. Fees and Compensation. Directors of the corporation as
such shall not receive any compensation for their services, but by
resolution of the Board of Directors, expenses of attendance, if any,
may be allowed for attendance at regular or special meetings of the
Board."

I guess there is provision for financial support for attendance at the
meetings of the Board, although I am not sure if FOSS4G qualified as a
"meeting of the Board."

--
Puneet Kishor