[OSGeo-Edu] Chair issue and other OSGeo edu items

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Wed Oct 3 22:47:14 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 08:26 -0700, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Note that once the committee has selected a chair, they
> should notify the board so we can ratify the decision.  This
> is generally a formality but is required for completeness.
> The new chair should take on the role immediately rather than
> wait for board ratification.

I'll let someone else take the role of the process to get to a chair.
Given my name was proposed in the BOF meeting, I'll just say I'm willing
to try this out for a year if people want me to.

I should say I still like the idea of having another co-chair who helps
and reminds the chair to keep things moving. If Puneet isn't interested
in this role (I'd personally be happy to see him in that role, but
understand the challenges of dissertation writing!), then I think there
should be a nomination process for both the chair and co-chair and we
explore the utility of this arrangement this next year. Someone else
other than me should take the group through this nomination/voting
process. I'm also not a charter member but I don't know if that matters.

On to other edu group business:

1) PLEASE ENTER METADATA ON YOUR MATERIAL ON THE WIKI OR SEND THIS
REQUEST ON TO OTHERS YOU KNOW WHO MIGHT. FOR EXAMPLE, IT WOULD BE GREAT
FOR OSGEO SOFTWARE PROJECTS TO INVENTORY THEIR EDUCATIONAL CONTENT HERE.

Go to http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Educational_Content_Inventory and
copy the metadata items and add vertically. Thanks Helena for adding the
GRASS links.

Gary Watry and Dan Ames -- if you are monitoring this -- please feel
free to add entries to your external educational content or references
to your upcoming book. One of the things we discussed in the BOF was
that we want to embrace all approaches to content publishing (e.g., open
content, self-published material on LuLu, etc.).

2) Add or revise your name, affiliation to the edu participant wiki page
if you haven't already.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/OSGeo_education_interested_participants

3) MY FOLLOW-UP TASKS

I am compiling an email to people who attended the BOF session to
encourage them to sign up on this list if they haven't.

In the next day or two, I'll be contacting the subcommittee who signed
up in the BOF meeting on the content management platform issue.

Cheers
Charlie Schweik

--
Associate Professor