[OSGeo-Edu] Getting back to "Mapping Math" - Removal From Free GIS Book

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Fri Oct 12 11:27:09 EDT 2007

> 1) Victor, Lornezo, Venka, Landon (others?): Can you all form a FreeGIS
> book subcommittee and develop a recommended strategy with some
> established goals and tasks for October-to December 2007?

I'll try my best. Personally I have not a big clue about Educational in
general, I'm just a developer with poor GIS background.
But I love the idea a Free GIS Book can come out from our common effort.
I speak somehow Italian, Spanish, English and a little of French and I
think I can help mostly as "animator".
When I'll see enough people better then me in this challenge I'll move
somewhere else my efforts.
I'll try to animate the Italian community too. Politecnico di Milano
(Como) and University of Trento has a lot of material could be used for
our purpose. Let's see if/how they can contribute. In February there
will be a FOSS GIS meeting in Perugia and it would be good to have
something to present.

I have no idea what collaborative platform could help us to edit and
translate at the same time.
I can trust Venka suggestion about Moodle, definitively we need one
platform to start working.
> 2) To keep us focused, I'd like to suggest three central goals for
> reporting next year at FOSS4G: (1) Significant progress on our
> "Inventory of Educational Materials"; (2) The "Establishment of a
> Content Management System" and a system for creation of new derivative
> works; and now (3) A "FreeGIS Edited Book" effort with possibly a draft
> version in place by August 2008?

Close to Victor's prevision [1] that was for September 2008 for the
first draft.
let's cross our fingers.

> Sorry for my long notes. I'm actually trying to be concise!

you, professor!
;-)

ciao
Lorenzo