[OSGeo-Edu] Free GIS book

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Fri Oct 12 19:12:04 EDT 2007

Victor Olaya Ferrero wrote:
 > My proposal is
> to translate the outline so you can see which chapters are not
> written yet, and everyone who is interested can start writing them
> (we have a more hyerarchical structure regarding people participating
> in chapters, and I encourage you to have something similar, but that
> can also be discussed...)

Victor's suggestion makes sense to me.
I suggest we put the outline of the chapters
it would make things more clear.

I would suggest that as par as possible, try
to make use of the stuff that is already available
if the contributors are could do adaptations
to fit the chapter framework.

 From what I heard from Victor at the last Edu
BOF is the Spanish FreeGIS book deals with
more of general GIS theory rather that a specific
Open Source OSGeo software.

> In the end, we will have a book with some chapters in spanish and
> some others in english. That might sound weird, but is the only way
> of avoiding redundancy in our work. After that, it should not be
> difficult to translate from english to spanish and viceversa, and we
> will have both books ready.

Italian, German, French, Portuguese, Japanese,
Chinese etc too maybe. Maybe the local  chapter
folks could help in the english translation.
Assuming that each chapter in 30-40 pages long,
translation would not be that difficult even if
main authors of the chapters do not write in English.
> If you think this is a good strategy, I can translate all our
> documents (outline of the book, guidelines for authors, philosophy of
> the project...) so we will all work under a common framework (if your
> student can help me with this, Venka, I would appreciate it...)

Send it up or point us to where it is
and I will ask my student to give it a shot.
How many pages is it?

Regards

Venka