[OSGeo-Edu] Moodle/Content Management System discussion

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Wed Oct 17 08:23:57 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 08:18 +0200, maria.brovelli at diiar-topo.polimi.it
wrote:
> Just to summarize. At the moment three processes are working:
>
> 1) collecting people and material

> In the first case, if people already have educational stuff and we
> suppose that the list of material is going to grow up, we need to
> manage them via metadata. Anyway we can wait and see. At the moment
> the content inventory is not so populated...

Hi Folks. Regarding the discussions about Moodle and such, here's what
I've concluded regarding my own material. What I am trying to get to is
a model of how we do content management in general in situations where
new derivatives are OK.

1) Develop Modules in Open Office Writer using a standard "metadata
header"

We am going to convert my QGIS/PostGreSQL/PostGIS/GRASS plug in -related
tutorials from wiki page format to Open Office Writer. Through this
effort  am going to try and establish a "recommended tutorial metadata
structure" in terms of headings for the modules.

2) Publish in pdf format

3) Create a course on OSGeo Moodle with links to the pdf files. (not
sure what to do with our associated data yet)

4) Develop a course entry on the OSGeo Wiki Inventory page following our
current metadata structure.

What I still don't like about this is that people can't search for
modules across courses easily as we grow. But I suppose that can be an
issue for later.

Let me know if any of you have objections to this strategy. If this
sounds OK, we'll send out an example of a Module in OO writer (#1) for
people to look at and comment on.

Cheers