[OSGeo-Edu] Free GIS Book - next step ideas

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Wed Oct 17 09:03:53 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 09:57 -0700, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> * we can pursue having any articles that have been published in the
> journal already, made available for reprint in a book.  I doubt any
> authors will have an issue with this.

Hola Victor (finally getting back to your messages-sorry for my delay),

Regarding the FreeGIS book (which looking at pdf at
http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/book/es/libro_sig/PDF/ looks like you are
quite far along! Terrific!), I'm wondering if any or all of the below
ideas might help (I'm repeating a couple things you said to me offline)

1) SPANISH/ENGLISH TABLE OF CONTENTS

Develop an online Table of Contents in both Spanish and English with an
indicator of what is already written (in Spanish) and what still needs
to be written. Further coordination with Helena and Landon (Mapping
Math) might be worth exploring. Metadata for each chapter: Current
author/primary language/translator name.

2) ISSUE A "CALL FOR TRANSLATIONS"?

To try and get English versions of what you have written. So there are
parallel chapters? This will require a new level of management in
subversion I imagine. I wish I knew Spanish! I wonder if you could send
to various spanish speaking universities to see if we could get some
interested/motivated grad students to help.

3) ISSUE A "CALL FOR CHAPTERS"

For where three are gaps in the Table of Contents... Perhaps following
the example in
http://www.eoearth.org/article/An_Introduction_to_Ecological_Economics_%
28e-book%29. Perhaps we even want to contact this organization to see if
we can do a similar effort through them?

4) ISSUE A CALL FOR PAPERS in OSGEO'S JOURNAL

Issuing a "Call for papers" for the OSGeo Journal for papers that might
be included in the volume. This could be either a call with a list of
subjects that are current gaps in your table of contents, or general
suggested subjects.

Ideas to take or leave. I hope this helps a little.

Charlie

--
Associate Professor
- Department of Natural Resources Conservation (www.umass.edu/nrc)