[OSGeo-Edu] gis book license

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at geomaticblog.net
Thu Oct 25 07:07:52 EDT 2007

2007/10/25, Lorenzo Becchi <lorenzo at ominiverdi.com>:
> To Libro SIG and EduCom lists
>
> It seems strange to me but, AFAIK, we've not yet debated the license we
> want to adopt for the GIS Book.
> In the Spanish-language Book list we've started a debate about the
> license. Since we will be all together in this production, I guess it
> will make sense to debate all together.
>
> All CC licenses can be interesting, but I'll not be an author so I'll
> leave authors to decide.
>
> The only note I leave is about OSGeo Journal [1] publication that is
> adopting the By-Nd CC license [2]
>
> it should be important do define the license before any other author
> could contribute to Victor's work.
>
> ciao
> Lorenzo
>

> [1] http://www.osgeo.org/journal
> [2] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/

Thanks Lorenzo for starting spanish/english book discussion (or crossposting :P)

On the Spanish list we've just started discussion but I think we are
moving between CC BY and CC BY-SA.

"No derivatives" kind of licenses are not discussed at this time and,
only speaking IMHO, we want to allow derivatives work and commercial
use too.

But of course, this is a very very important issue we should discuss
together to avoid future misunderstandings or problems.

BR
--
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
Ingeniero en Geodesia y Cartografía