[OSGeo-Edu] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] packaging FOSS GIS for Ubuntu in education

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Fri Oct 26 05:13:52 EDT 2007

Jacolin Yves wrote:
> The Francophone LC try to run such a project but with francophone
> documentation, application in french, francophone data, etc. Someone
> (french) is working on a personal liveCD (GeoLive) and I think we
> will use it.

I think it is Gerald Fenoy who is working on Geolive
http://www.djayux.net/geolive/wiki/Downloads

> Of course other liveCD exists and are great as well: Omniverdi
> LiveCD, some LiveUsb, etc.

Guess there must be some limitation on how much of
the OSGeo stack we could pack in one LiveCD. I also
read about ways of installing from LiveCD to HDD.
I haven't used LiveCD much for training yet.

> It could be interestinig to get such an official project with the
> ability to change data, documentation and langage, i.e. I18n of the
> liveCD, easily.

Heard that the Japanese version of Ominiverdi LiveCD
is expected to be out soon.

> Nice challenge indeed, and the Francophone LC will be ready to
> produce data and documentation for this liveCD ;)

Sounds good.

Regards

Venka