[OSGeo-Edu] packaging FOSS GIS for Ubuntu in education

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Fri Oct 26 08:49:45 EDT 2007

Hi all,

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 08:29 +0200, Gavin Fleming wrote:
> While Venka is on the topic of packaging FOSS GIS for Ubuntu, I'd like
> to put a niche request / challenge to the community.
> My challenge is to have a
> packaged CD for Ubuntu to launch at FOSS4G2008 in Cape Town.

As someone who just taught a distance learning FOSS GIS course to
Nigerians/Ugandans I'd like to second Gavin's challenge. For some of my
students a DVD would need to be developed, because of poor Internet
connections. I think this vision would require collaboration between a
couple OSGeo committees or groups. I think it would require:

1) Software project teams to suggest what elements of their software
would be useful for students at a lower entry and provide tutorials if
they have them.

2) Education committee members to provide possible tutorials that might
be part of the package

3) Perhaps two people -- one from the developer side and one from the
education committee side -- to lead/organize this effort. Perhaps also
someone who has the skills to develop the DVD. Any volunteers?

Finally, on the OSGeo education side, we have been inventorying
tutorials
(http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Educational_Content_Inventory) that are
available which is a start. For example, I think some of the tutorials
on fundamental QGIS that is in my course might be useful for this.

PLEASE, if anyone of the broader OSGeo list (such as software project
teams) have software tutorials or other OSGeo educational-relevant
material, take 10 minutes to inventory it on this page. I'm happy to
report 14 entries since Victoria!

Charlie Schweik
OSGeo education committee chair