[OSGeo-Edu] New OSGeo education web pages and meeting summary

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Fri Sep 28 18:21:11 EDT 2007

On 28 Sep 2007, at 13:54, P Kishor wrote:

> I agree with all the items discussed in the BOF meeting, but I will
> briefly comment on the one that directly involves me by name -- I
> have, like many of you, been frustrated at my own performance as the
> Edu Chair.

> I have been also hampered by a few other
> structural issues that I probably could have solved if I had pursued
> them doggedly, but they shouldn't have been there to begin with.
>
> Anyway, all that said, I would be happy to step down and make way for
> someone more capable at leading the edu charge. On the other hand, as
> proposed in the minutes, co-coordinators sharing responsibilities with
> me -- "more than one set of shoulders" -- would be fantastic as well,
> and I would be happy to continue Chairing with renewed energies.

Hi, Puneet,

As the person who was taking notes at the recent BOF, which ended up
as "the minutes" on the wiki, I want to chime in right away that I
hope you I haven't mislead you in terms of the collective's thoughts
on how to move forward, and that I think you've taken the right
interpretation regarding the idea about shared responsibility.

I struggled with the wording in the notes quite a bit, as I was
trying to capture an extremely dynamic discussion, and I did not want
anyone who wasn't there - especially you - to think that the general
attitude was that you were lacking in any way.  Or at least not
lacking any more than the rest of us have been as we all try to
juggle all our commitments.  I hope that this extra note will help
make it clear that there was no sense of discontent with you
personally, and the mood of the discussion that I was trying to
capture had to do with:
- we all would like to keep up momentum on this important work
- we all have troubles keeping up said momentum
- it's a lot to expect just one person to keep the ball rolling
- while "too many cooks" can get in the way of each other, some
shared responsibility would probably help

In that light, Charlie agreed to take on some of that load too, on
the condition that in the case that he himself gets distracted and
doesn't seem to be pushing us, one of us should give him a nudge.

So yes - we would love you to keep going with renewed energies!

Cheers,
Scott