[OSGeo-Edu] Re-starting our discussions

cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Mon Dec 8 09:44:16 EST 2008

Quoting Mark Leslie <mrk.leslie at gmail.com>:

> I'm interested in helping to get any educational material that is
> available packaged up for inclusion on the live dvd, also known as Task
> A from the wiki link below.
>
> At the moment, the DVD is targetted at introducing people to open source
> geospatial software, and as such introductory tutorials are a higher
> priority for us.

Thanks Mark for helping in the leadership of this task. It's a great help.

A first task is to restructure the educational inventory wiki page. As you said,
it is unwieldy and too long -- we've hit the length limit. So we have two

***

1) BUILD A SEARCHABLE METADATABASE - Anyone able to implement something like
this for us? It actually would be GREAT if it had a mapping component, that
shows where geographically material is coming from. ANYBODY INTERESTED or know
someone from the software groups who might be willing to implement?

2) SEPARATE THE WIKI INVENTORY PAGE INTO COMPONENTS -- Maybe Desktop, Web and
other? Then, by software and language, perhaps. ANY VOLUNTEERS? I'll try to do
this if no one steps up but my semester is ending here and it is quite busy.

****

Finally, to start idenfying candidates for this DVD:

1) Mark, can you send to the group the list of packages being included?

2) Edu Colleagues -- if you have a tutorial listed on the Educational Inventory
page and are willing to have it included on the DVD please go to the wiki page
[1] and add an entry in your metadata saying "can go on DVD". If you can, do
this right now... ;-)

Thanks all!

Charlie

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Educational_Content_Inventory