[OSGeo-Edu] Re-starting our discussions

Mark Leslie mrk.leslie at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 19:34:08 EST 2008

cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu wrote:
> Quoting Mark Leslie <mrk.leslie at gmail.com>:
>
>> I'm interested in helping to get any educational material that is
>> available packaged up for inclusion on the live dvd, also known as Task
>> A from the wiki link below.
>>
>> At the moment, the DVD is targetted at introducing people to open source
>> geospatial software, and as such introductory tutorials are a higher
>> priority for us.
>
> Thanks Mark for helping in the leadership of this task. It's a great help.
>
> A first task is to restructure the educational inventory wiki page. As you said,
> it is unwieldy and too long -- we've hit the length limit. So we have two
>
> ***
>
> 1) BUILD A SEARCHABLE METADATABASE - Anyone able to implement something like
> this for us? It actually would be GREAT if it had a mapping component, that
> shows where geographically material is coming from. ANYBODY INTERESTED or know
> someone from the software groups who might be willing to implement?
>
> 2) SEPARATE THE WIKI INVENTORY PAGE INTO COMPONENTS -- Maybe Desktop, Web and
> other? Then, by software and language, perhaps. ANY VOLUNTEERS? I'll try to do
> this if no one steps up but my semester is ending here and it is quite busy.
>
> ****
>
> Finally, to start idenfying candidates for this DVD:
>
> 1) Mark, can you send to the group the list of packages being included?
>
> 2) Edu Colleagues -- if you have a tutorial listed on the Educational Inventory
> page and are willing to have it included on the DVD please go to the wiki page
> [1] and add an entry in your metadata saying "can go on DVD". If you can, do
> this right now... ;-)
>
> Thanks all!
>
> Charlie
>
> [1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Educational_Content_Inventory

Currently the following packages are included on the DVD:
   PostgreSQL 8.3.5 / PostGIS 1.3.3-1
   GeoServer 1.7.0
   MapServer 5.0.0-3 (though not working properly)
   GRASS 6.3.0-0
   QGIS 0.11.0-Metis
   gvSIG 1.1.2
   uDig 1.1.1
   OpenLayers 2.6 (included with the GeoServer installation)

While a searchable metadatabase would be ideal, I'm thinking in baby
steps.  I will make a run at reorganizing the page as soon as I have a
bit of time, likely by adding in tablular references grouped by language
and category or application as a first step.

Mark Leslie
Geospatial Software Architect
LISAsoft

Ph: +61 2 8570 5000 Fax: +61 2 8570 5099 Mob: +61
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf 19-21 Pirrama Rd Pyrmont NSW 2009