[OSGeo-Edu] Re-starting our discussions

cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Mon Dec 15 11:52:36 EST 2008

Thanks Landon. I'm caught up in end of semester stuff right now.

Quoting Sunburned Surveyor <sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com>:

> What is our goal here?

Three things have led me to think we need a new educational inventory delivery
mechanism:

(1) We've maxed out the wikipage. A while back Maria B. tried to add a new entry
and the wiki warned her that we've reached the length limit.

(2) In wanting to start organizing material we have for the DVD project, Mark
Leslie mentioned that the current Educational_Content_Inventory [1] page
"structure makes it hard to quickly scan through."

(3) I'd like to get more actual content uploaded on the Subversion system so we
can make progress toward "new derivatives." For example, if we have the source
content for a particular tutorial, we can start to ask OSGeo local groups to
start translating.

So, I think the goal is to develop a SEARCHABLE DATABASE OF TUTORIAL METADATA
WITH LINKS TO EITHER SUBVERSION SOURCE OR LINKS TO THE URLS OF EXTERNAL
LOCATIONS.

So this would require two pages:

1) a page for authors to enter (and edit) their metadata into the database; and
2) a page for people to search for content that we have inventoried.

Finally, since I imagine this is a deep web application that Google won't
inventory, I wonder if we still want the wiki page so people can find our
material via Google searches as well.

Does that help? Let me know if my vision seems flawed in some way.

Tyler will have to chime in on how this is stored. Tyler, can you and Landon
work together to implement this? How much work will it take? Can we get a goal
for when it might be completed? I'm happy to help on design stuff if needed.

Cheers