[OSGeo-Edu] Please send material for the edu status report ASAP

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Mon Feb 11 15:52:22 EST 2008

Hi OSGeo edu folks:

Just a friendly reminder: I need to have an edu committee report written
by Feb 15th. I'll be writing it in the next day or two with the goal to
send it out for comments to you all before I forward to Tyler. I'd
appreciate anything you think I should include related to below:

1) EDUCATIONAL MATERIAL: Several people are listed on this page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Commitments_for_New_Material_Development
If you have anything you'd like included on this report, please send it
to me. (Helena - do you want me to use what you sent me about a month
ago?)

2) AUTHORING/DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT: On our end (UMass and Ned Horning), on
the "authoring procedure" we're close to having an Open Office
Writer/DocBook procedure worked out with a template to pass by you all.
The problem is that we are having trouble with the Figure and Equation
tags. It's clear that we want to make this as easy as possible, and that
this will be only a *suggested* approach for new material, and not at
all mandated. For example, with all the good material in Latex we need
to be able to manage material in that format. On the "document
management/search" side, we are considering possibly Subversion and the
wiki as an approach.

3) FREEGIS BOOK: I'd like to hear about the FreeGIS book status from
Victor or others working on it (Landon - I have your status... thanks)

4) Anything else I am forgetting?

Again, I need any thoughts ASAP so I can start writing our report.
Thanks all.

Associate Professor
- Department of Natural Resources Conservation (www.umass.edu/nrc)
- Center for Public Policy and Administration (www.masspolicy.org),
- Associate Director, National Center for Digital Government (www.ncdg.org)
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003
Phone: (413) 545-1824
Website: http://people.umass.edu/cschweik