[OSGeo-Edu] Geospatial Metadata ODT and Free GIS Book Sample Chapter Layout

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Feb 12 00:05:03 EST 2008

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas wrote:
> 2008/2/6, Landon Blake <lblake at ksninc.com>:
>>
>> I have attached two PDFs with the sample Free GIS Chapter Layout that I
>> created in Scribus. I would like to get some comments on the layout from the
>> group. If there are no major objections to the layout then I will complete
>> the following tasks:
>>
>> - Implement corrections and suggestions.
>>
>> - Layout the rest of the metadata chapter in Scribus and produce a PDF.
>>

>> I have also attached an ODT for Markus and any others that would like to
>> review the chapter and provide comments.
>>

> Hi Landon,
>
> I like the layout, it's nice, but do you think (I don't know anything
> about Scribus) that transforming your texts to Scribus is "scalable"?
> Do you have your text in and ODT and Scribus consumes it?
>
> At the Spanish Free GIS Book we have more or less 400 pages of text
> written in LaTeX and we don't think about changing a lot the layout
> apart from minor changes to improve the appearance.
>
> Regards

Scribus can consume text files, pdfs and all sorts of other formats.
Theoretically you could build a scaffold scribus file and iterate
through inserting a set of pdfs or text files into the proper tag.

The beauty of scribus is hitting refresh when the source documents and
images have changed to see the new versions.

Alex