[OSGeo-Edu] Our proposed educational content and management standard!

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sun Jan 20 18:12:19 EST 2008

Hi Helena,

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 23:21 -0500, Helena Mitasova wrote:
> Charlie, Sasha,
> equations, but given the fact that I have most of my texts written in
> latex
> and that the structure of DocBook actually resembles latex
> is there a latex <-> DocBook translator available?
Sasha or Ned may have additional ideas. I don't have Latex experience,
but I did a little searching today and found this document related to a
tool (TeX4ht) that appears to do Latex-to-Docbook conversion. See

http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/%7Egurari/TeX4ht/mn.html

See also section 5 of this document:
http://www.apsr.edu.au/publications/LaTeX-preservation.pdf

When we were developing the proposal, we knew that there would be
conversion issues here. We're facing the issue of converting our wiki
tutorial pages to this format. But I hope we can find a method to allow
you to do this without too much work!

> - I looked at the pdf example and the html files - do you also have
> the actual template
> that I could use to write a sample text to get some feeling for how
> it will work
> for the kind of material I need to write?
Sasha and Maili have been working on this.

Sasha, do you have a template you can send out at this point or does it
need a little more work? Can you send it out if you think it is ready to
go?

One thing is we wanted to have a license section near the top of the
template and I'm not sure they have that yet. Author attribution should
be in there too. Right now it is at the end of the document (probably
the right place).

> - just a comment - using OSGeo svn is a good idea and it would be
> good to set it up
> ASAP so that we can try out the entire procedure (the svn repository
> could be used
> to handle also material written in latex that could follow the same
> structure
> and would be served as pdf).
Yes, Tyler got that set up for us a while back (thanks Tyler) and that's
our next step. We wanted to get the document creation process down
first. But that will be something we turn to shortly.

Cheers