[OSGeo-Edu] An attempt at a summary of the recent email discussion on XML/Docbook/Subversion

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Tue Jan 22 21:13:21 EST 2008

Thanks for all the feedback folks! I've waded through the emails (some
have been direct to me or our subcommittee and not to the whole group)
and am trying to organize what I've heard. (Let me know if I missed an
important point.)

     1. We should separate the discussion on (1) document format and (2)
        content versioning/distribution system.
     2. We are working toward a recommended practice, not a mandatory
        one (source content in any format is welcome!)
     3. The Docbook/XML strategy seems worthy to pursue, although there
        are some questions about handling formulas and conversion.
     4. XMLMind does not seem ideal. A template in Open Office writer
        seem like a better option.
     5. We need to get some templates and Subversion up to try out.
     6. Subversion may not be ideal for document distribution and
        searching, but rather for version control. May need two
        different systems (this was a point Ned raised today).

What I think we should do now:

     1. UMass Amherst team to try and develop a Open Office Writer
        template to build Docbook content. Test out formulas.
     2. I'm starting a separate email discussion on the Subversion
        issue.

Cheers-