[OSGeo-Edu] An attempt at a summary of the recent email discussion on XML/Docbook/Subversion

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Wed Jan 23 18:22:16 EST 2008

Hello!

>      3. The Docbook/XML strategy seems worthy to pursue, although there
>         are some questions about handling formulas and conversion.
>      4. XMLMind does not seem ideal. A template in Open Office writer
>         seem like a better option.
I'd like to point you guys to one of the best word processors for
scientist out there. I did nearly all my university stuff with it and it
show great results. The users are very helpful on their list and
developers have a very pragmatic approach.

The this is called Lyx (http://www.lyx.org) and out in the wild for all
major platforms.
It's a WYSIWYM text editor for LaTeX. WYSIWYM => you don't have to mess
with latex markup code. just fire it up and start writing. Fix on your
content. Later you may export to PDF, html latex, OOo, TXT, RTF, etc.

Please give it a try.

There's been some discussion on docbook on the users list:
http://search.gmane.org/search.php?group=gmane.editors.lyx.general&query=docbook

and recently:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.general/42813/focus=42827

Hope that helps,