[OSGeo-Edu] Re: FreeGIS book effort

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas xurxosanz at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 14:15:03 EDT 2008

2008/7/6  <cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu>:
> Hi Jorge, Victor:
>
> 1) I went looking on the OSGeo wiki todo list
> (http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Education_Committee_Work_Program) for a link to the
> current FreeGIS book material and couldn't find it. It's also not listed on the
> educational content page that I can see.
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Educational_Content_Inventory
>
> You might want to add it to both with a request for help in either writing or
> translating chapters.

Hi, I've updated both wiki pages with the lacking info, I hope is
enough. Please Victor take a look just to make sure everything is OK

> 2) A PhD student here that works for me who has written some of our open source
> GIS training material is looking for some funds for the next year to help
> support her program. She's from Spain and speaks both Spanish and English.
>
> Does anyone know if there is any funding possibilities out there to hire her to
> do the translation from Spanish to English for the chapters you have written?
> Does anyone have any ideas?

Well, I've no idea of how to get funding for your student.

Maybe presenting the materials to an editorial and proposing them to
pay to get some parts (that mean a whole, for example the SDI or the
raster analysis parts) translated or for example improving figures
(yes, improve figures is a really boring part so we need someone who
pays for them :P) could be possible but is just an idea.

I see (for Spanish students) proposing scholarships to improve the
book could be possible. When I was at the university I did worse works
as a grant holder!

> CHeers
> Charlie Schweik

Best regards