[OSGeo-Edu] Discussion of recommended standards for OSGeo educational material

cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Tue Jul 29 23:54:50 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

Recall that a few weeks ago I queried the group about the issue of document
formats and the opportunity to link to the WikiEducator project. Here's a
summary of results (7 people responded) and my recommendations:

(1) Format types – lots of different formats being used.
(2) The consensus was that it is not worth at this time pursuing a recommended
format. We should just keep trying to collect material in ANY format.
(3) All thought a connection with Wikieducator sounds like a good idea. One
concern that the constraints of wiki format might lead to people not
contributing content.  (I attach more detail at the bottom of this email.)

MY RECOMMENDATION/CONCLUSIONS:

1. For the next six months to a year, we should just continue to build/collect
edu content in whatever format works best for the author.

2. I will coordinate with the Wikieducator people to see if there is a way we
can at least add an OSGeo education page that would have links to our efforts –
as a first step connecting with them. If anyone is working in wiki format and is
willing to try to develop on their platform, let me know.

3. We at UMass have tried Wiki, Docbook and Open Office. While I totally see the
benefit of these other formats, I still personally lean to Open Office Writer
(and Impress) for two main reasons: (a) generally it is the easiest for new
authors to use/learn; and (b) it means that people with limited Internet
connection can download and potentially derive new work from the material (I’m
thinking for example, my experience with some in Africa). In other words, it
doesn’t require them to be online. Maili and I are updating QGIS/GRASS material
and have decided that the new version will be in Open Office Writer format.  I’m
hoping maybe Wikieducator might have the ability to translate to Wiki format
from Open Office.

Let me know if there are any concerns. Below are more details from my informal
“survey.”

Cheers and thanks all! (one more email from me to follow)

Charlie

*** MORE DETAILS ON MY SURVEY RESPONSES ***************************************

Here’s a summary of what I learned (7 responses, including me). Note some people
use multiple formats:

1) What format do you plan on using (pick one): Latex, Docbook, Open
Office Writer, Wiki, Other (specify)?

Pdf – 3
Open office writer - 3
Open office presentation – 2
Latex – 1
Docbook - 2
MS Word - 2
MS ppt - 1
Wiki (OSgeo or other) – 2
Html – 1

Basically no clear consensus on formats.

2) Do you think we should work toward a recommended format? If so, which
format above?

Generally the consensus was that we are “still in hunter gather stage” – and it
is too hard to establish a recommended format at this juncture. Perhaps a move
toward some structural standards – two suggestions came out:

a) Develop a standard color scheme for OSGeo related products;
b) Font: Use "Nimbus Sans L" instead of Arial, Helvetica, Garamond and Verdana
because the latter are all proprietary.

3) Do you think we should try connecting to the wikieducator.org project
 (this would require a wiki format)?

Everyone thought a connection to this might be a good idea. One person asked
what we would gain from such a move. I think on our end it would perhaps expose
our efforts to a wider audience. Another person thought that it was hard enough
getting people to contribute material in general, and raised the concern that
adding the requirement of a wiki might be too constraining.