[OSGeo-Edu] Getting to work with Lyx and LaTex

Ian Turton ijturton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 14:25:31 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Landon Blake <lblake at ksninc.com> wrote:
> I've taken a break from any OSGeo writing for the last few weeks. I'm trying
> to get (at least partially) back on the ball. I'd like to get a LaTex
> version of my metadata chapter for the Free GIS Book done this month, and
> then I'd like to do some more work on the dictionary.
>

> I've got LyX and MikiTex installed on my laptop, and I'd like to try using
> those tools to prepare the LaTex files. However, I seem to have run into
> trouble with one aspect of LaTex. I thought I would check here to see if
> someone had a solution.
>

> I'd like to have specific categories of text rendered using specific fonts.
> This is similar to how the <code> tag works in HTML. Is it possible to do
> this with LaTex? Can you define your own custom "tags" to control styling?
> For example: Can I define a "definition" tag and then assign a font to this
> tag when producing PDF output?

The short answer is yes, the longer answer is how exactly you go about
this depends on exactly what you are trying to do  - look at
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Customizing_LaTeX for more exact
details.

Don't forget there is the LyX-code style in the drop down list of
styles that does <code> like text already.

Ian