[OSGeo-Edu] Reactions?

cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sat Jun 21 17:03:13 EDT 2008

Quoting Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>:

> Are you interested in accumulating material suitable for conference
> style workshops and labs?

Yes, Frank, I think so. Having sat in a few conference workshops/sessions last
year (including one of yours which I enjoyed!), I've thought since then that
that kind of material is a natural connection for what we are trying to do (as
well as any of the software projects' tutorial documentation).

As I see it, we're in the "initiation stage" of building a content database
supporting open source GIS educational peer-production. The more we get in there
the larger group of potential visitors who may contribute back. If some/all
workshop material was added, we'd be assured of at least annually building some
real content.

Also - I think our group's mission is broad. Sure, higher ed, but also lower
levels as well as self, life-long learners.

So I'd encourage you to do this, if you feel OK to do so. Either before or after
the workshop.

Finally, regarding licensing, my take is that we let the authors decide on what
license they want to use. This might be something we take up later, but for now
we need to build content.

Cheers,
Charlie