[OSGeo-Edu] "OSGeo Teach-in" event proposal

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Tue Jun 24 11:27:41 EDT 2008

cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Ames <amesdani at isu.edu>:
>
>> Another way to think of this is to have the disclaimer come from the point
>> of view of the author.  In which case it might read something like this:
>>
>> "The authors of this tutorial believe that its content is consistent with
>> goal of the OSGeo foundation to create a global, open access repository of
>> educational material related to open source geospatial theory and
>> technologies. Any mistakes, misrepresentations, or inaccuracies are the
>> authors' alone."
>
> I like this very much Dan.
>
> Does anyone see any problems if we adopted something like this as a
> *recommended* statement in the header for future tutorials?
>
> Charlie

Hello,
thanks for all the good comments. Now that this has somewhat consolidated we might proceed to add this disclaimer to the Wiki where it can be further refined and serve as a guideline for educational material associated with OSGeo. This could be a good starting point:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Licenses_for_Education_Material

We should add a note that this is still in a proposal status and not approved OSGeo policy.

If I got the gist of the latest mails right it is suggested that any material that carries above disclaimer could wear the OSGeo logo? I would suggest to also consider proposing a set of licenses to be used for documents.

Software projects going into OSGeo through Incubation have to adhere to one of the licenses as published by the OSI:
http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/evaluation.html

We might want to also maintain a list of document licenses that authors can choose from to publish their material. Currently that is the GNU FDL and the Creative Commons family licenses. At a later stage we might consider to award the OSGeo logo or a tag line "Published by OSGeo" only to material that has been licensed following the above mentioned list ++ whatever else restrictions wrt quality, peer review etc. we come up with.

This is also a topic on the to do list of the Education Committee.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Core_Curriculum_Project#Licensing_of_teaching_material

Best regards,
Arnulf.

--