[OSGeo-Edu] OSGeo logo and educational material

cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Thu Jun 26 23:32:51 EDT 2008

Hi -- we reached a lull on this discussion. Given the importance of this, I've
created a wiki page and tried to summarize - see
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Edu_Licensing_and_Logo_Discussion

I think Ned's suggestion was important, that the use of the OSGeo logo be a
free-for-all. The suggestion by Ned and Puneet was we should develop a minimum
set of guidelines to be able to use the OSGeo logo in their content:

1. An "as-is" disclaimer given that these will not be vetted through a
peer-review process, and something stating the spirit of our effort (Dan's text
is a good start - text on the above wiki page).

2. Specific guidelines: modules go in open access repository; follows one of a
set of recommended licenses; open source geospatial technologies; what else?

3. We gratefully accept any content licensed in any way, but the ones with OSGeo
logo would have to abide by the guidelines.

If people agree, we need someone or subcommittee to take the text Dan proposed
and tweak it, along with adding other guidelines (e.g., suggested licenses).

Any volunteers? Can it be done in the next week or two so we can keep moving
forward?

Thanks all for a useful conversation...

Charlie