[OSGeo-Edu] OSGeo logo and educational material

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 20:06:37 EDT 2008

On 6/24/08, cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu <cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu> wrote:
> Quoting "Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)" <tmitchell at osgeo.org>:
>
>  > re: OSGeo branded teaching events.  Board had lots of discussion, but
>  > were asking the conference committee to come up with some policy.
>  > The direction EduCom takes may really help set the tone for how
>  > "bigger" issues of policy like this are handled.
>

> Tyler - should we in edu (A) continue this thread (or a subcommittee) to come up
>  with our own suggested policy or (B) should an ad-hoc subcommittee between edu
>  and the conference group be formed to develop a policy for both?
>
>  While I still think our edu group's primary issue is still getting *any* (OSGeo
>  sanctioned or not) content up in our inventory so that people will come and use
>  it, it probably is time for us to do this.

I think EduCom should concentrate on getting the content developed,
and the OSGeo Board should figure out the right mechanism to brand and
license "official" OSGeo content, be it software, documentation or
data.

Authors should be free to chose whatever license and mechanism they
want, but if they want the OSGeo imprimatur, they would be required to
use the OSGeo guidelines (if OSGeo branding were to require license A,
the authors would be required to use license A. If they decide to use
license B, OSGeo could still host and advertise the content, but it
wouldn't be branded OSGeo).

--
Puneet Kishor