[OSGeo-Edu] Subversion folder strategy for educational material

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue May 6 01:33:11 EDT 2008

Charlie Schweik wrote:
> Hi OSGeo edu folks-
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set up the Subversion folder
> strategy for educational material? We want to be able to store completed
> versions and also allow for new releases under development to be
> managed.
>
> We're thinking something like this:
>
> Institution
> -- Course name
> ---- Version 1
>
> But then we see that some programming groups (GRASS, for example) use a
> "trunk/branch" strategy.
>
> Anyone have any advice here?
>
> Thanks
> Charlie

The trunk/branch model seems inappropriate for this situation since it
implies multiple versions of the same item being written by several authors.

Institution
-- Course

Sounds better, you want to avoid version numbers below that or in the
name of files as that defeats the purpose of the svn update scheme. So
the question becomes how to tag "final versions" if there was a tag
directory with completed  versions that might work. This tag folder
could also contain the Institution - Course name model.

So:
Trunk
  - Institution
    - Course
Tags or Release
  - Institution
    - Course Name and Version 1 of Final Release (say the 2008 version)
    - Course Name and Version 2 of Final Release (say the 2009 version)

Then a webpage script can be used to keep a list of tagged final
releases on an easy to access public page.

Hope that helps,
Alex