[OSGeo-Edu] international data set experiment

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Nov 17 14:05:02 EST 2008

Following some discussions with Venka and the suggestion on Wiki
about a need for local data sets for tutorials I have created the
following
as a basis for an experiment:

1. scaled down, basics-only version of the NC data set with generic
names
of map layers
2. getting started bare bone CLI  GRASS minitutorial for this data set.

It is here
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/grasswork/gisdemo_international.tarz

Now the experiment :
The objective is
- provide data sets for different regions with the same map layer names
so that the same tutorials can be run with data in Japan, Trento
or other location in US

I see the main trouble with the attribute names - but those can be
changed
if there aren't too many, otherwise it may be worth to try the concept.

I will be happy to modify the data set  and of course the tutorial(s)
can be
much nicer - GRASS wxpython GUI-based tutorial would be a nice test case
if we could provide it with data sets from all over the world.

So if you think it is worth it, please create small data sets for
other locations
with the same names of map layers
that would run with the minitutorial to test the idea. I can then
further modify
the data set to fit with the other ones so that we can create a
working standard
that can be easily expanded to many areas in the world,

Helena

P.S. I will be adding an edu module on topo analysis in GRASS to svn
soon,
I just need to go through it one more time.

Helena Mitasova
Associate Professor
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
1125 Jordan Hall
NCSU Box 8208
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208