[OSGeo-Edu] translations of edu material

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Nov 28 05:56:25 EST 2008

Hello,

The question just came up on osgeo-fr: some people would like to
translate the material at
http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/education/Releases/UMass/IntroductionToGisUsingQgisV0.8/.

What are the rules of procedure for that ?

Especially, I see that the material is licensed as follows:

"This tutorial is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No
Derivative Works 3.0 License
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/). This means that users
are free to copy and share this material with others. Requests for
creating new derivatives should be sent to the primary author."

This obviously poses the question of the status of translations.

More generally, I would highly encourage everyone to rather use the
share-alike version of cc:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode, as this seems
more compatible to the idea of "free" that OSGEO tries to defend (or at
least that I think it tries to defend ;-) )...

Moritz