[OSGeo-Edu] translations of edu material

cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sun Nov 30 21:52:56 EST 2008

Hi Moritz and all-

http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/education/Releases/UMass/IntroductionToGisUsingQgisV0.8/.

> What are the rules of procedure for that ?

Fantastic, terrific, GREAT! This particular material was produced by me and my
colleagues here at UMass Amherst. But this is *exactly* what we need to be doing
as a group -- we need to be moving toward new derivative works, both in
translations and in new releases of educational material. Incidentially, some
(not all) of that particular material we now have revised for the latest version
of QGIS. So the folks at OSGeo-fr probably would want that material.

Please tell whoever might be taking the lead on this to contact me and we can
figure out how we do this. But I'd like to use the OSGeo edu subversion system
for this and hope they'd be willing to do that and post the translations to the
educational inventory system.

> Especially, I see that the material is licensed as follows:
>
> "This tutorial is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No
> Derivative Works 3.0 License
> (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/). This means that users
> are free to copy and share this material with others. Requests for
> creating new derivatives should be sent to the primary author."
>
> This obviously poses the question of the status of translations.
>
> More generally, I would highly encourage everyone to rather use the
> share-alike version of cc:
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode, as this seems
> more compatible to the idea of "free" that OSGEO tries to defend (or at
> least that I think it tries to defend ;-) )...

I'm open to that. My main issue was that by having them contact the primary
author before new derivatives were undertaken that we could then be assured that
we would know about the new derivatives and that we could ask that they be added
back to our educational inventory.

Maybe we should have a group discussion on this proposal for an agreed upon
license for future material?

Cheers

Charlie Schweik