[OSGeo-Edu] Thursdays For Mapping Math Book

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Thu Sep 25 14:12:51 EDT 2008

I've decided to set aside Thursday mornings before work for OSGeo
education committee tasks. I picked up this morning where I left off on
the Mapping Math book. I've decided to keep this material on the OSGeo
wiki for the time being. I'd like to move the content to Docbook format
eventually, but I need to work on a Docbook to HTML converter first. I'm
not sure when I'll have time to do this, and I don't want it to hold up
my progress on the educational material.

This morning I worked on the following sections of the book:

What You Should Already Know
(http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Mapping_Math:_What_You_Should_Already_Know)
What You Will Need
(http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Mapping_Math:_What_You_Will_Need)
Chapter: Numbers
(http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Chapter:_Mapping_Math:_Numbers)

I will work on the "Introduction" and "What You Will Learn" sections
next week. Then I'll complete the numbers chapter. If someone has time
to provide a review of these portions of the book when I am done I'd
greatly appreciate it. (I plan on completing a chapter in the book from
each section, in sequential order.)

Looking ahead, I know I might also need some assistance writing the
chapter of the book on complex numbers and their use in conformal
mapping. If you have knowledge in this area please consider helping me
co-author that chapter!

I'll try to provide updates of my progress on every Thursday. (At my
current rate of progress, I estimate the book will be complete within
300 years.) :]

I'd love to have volunteers for coauthors or editors!

Landon

Warning: