[OSGeo-Edu] OSGeo-Edu SVN repository

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Jun 16 21:39:44 EDT 2009

Charlie and others,

we would like to test the osgeo svn repository as an environment
for collaborative development of osgeoedu materials,
related to TASK B in 2008-2009 Edu initiatives
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Education_Committee_Work_Program

I have created a new subdirectory NCSU here
http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/education/UnderDevelopment/
where we have started to work on GRASS tutorials (the first
is on lidar data processing and elevation time series analysis,
we also plan erosion modeling and others).
We are using very simple css + html which has been
relatively easy to maintain so far and worked for my course material,
as the tutorials are mostly targeted for advanced users who already
know GIS,
so there are no GUI screenshots (which saves a lot of time).

Once the tutorial is in a decent form we will put it under Releases/NCSU
directory. If all works I can modify our SVN_HOW_TO and post it
on osgeoedu wiki to make it easier for others
to get started and develop their own svn repositories.

I have a few questions (this may be on some website but I don't see it):

1. I have full commit access  to the repository using my osgeo ID
but my students don't - where can they get commit access to
http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/education/UnderDevelopment/NCSU
so that they can work on the tutorials?
Do we have a procedure for providing committ access, in case
additional people
even outside NCSU would like to contribute or fix the material?

2. Would it be possible to set up automated svn emails when something
is committed
(as we have e.g. for GRASS)? Or it is already there and we just need
to sign up?

3. Would it be difficult to set up a nice html browser of the source
repository
to look at the changes, etc. ?

4. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot,

Helena

Helena Mitasova
Associate Professor
Department of Marine, Earth
and Atmospheric Sciences
1125 Jordan Hall, Campus Box 8208
North Carolina State University
Raleigh NC 27695-8208
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/

On Apr 13, 2009, at 3:16 PM, Charlie Schweik wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Helena Mitasova
>> <hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Alex,
>>>
>>> if you could also add command line instructions - something like
>>> this
>>> http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/grasswork/grassbookdat07/