[OSGeo-Edu] OSGeo-Edu SVN repository

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Wed Jun 17 15:52:09 EDT 2009

Hello Helena,
I am really looking forward to this.

 > We are using very simple css + html which has been
 > relatively easy to maintain so far and worked for my course material,
 > as the tutorials are mostly targeted for advanced users who already know
 > GIS,
 > so there are no GUI screenshots (which saves a lot of time).
I would like to recommend using Sphinx:
http://sphinx.pocoo.org/

It is used by more and more software projects for documentation:
http://sphinx.pocoo.org/examples.html

The advantage:
* edit the simple text files anywhere
* convert into html, PDF
* ready for equations
* citations, automatic internal references (I have created a rudimentary
bibtex plugin for my works)
* code highlighting
* easy to version
* can be build with python distutils or any other build system

 > Once the tutorial is in a decent form we will put it under Releases/NCSU
 > directory. If all works I can modify our SVN_HOW_TO and post it
 > on osgeoedu wiki to make it easier for others
 > to get started and develop their own svn repositories.
Here is an example of a community written book using Sphinx:
* http://www.mindviewinc.com/Books/Python3Patterns/Index.php
* http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=239183
It is maintained in a DVCS:
* http://bitbucket.org/BruceEckel/python-3-patterns-idioms/