[OSGeo-Edu] Map Window

Daniel Ames amesdani at isu.edu
Mon Nov 2 19:19:18 EST 2009

Tom,

As the MapWindow team lead, I can tell you there is a lot that you can do in
your K-12 with this software. All of your basic data visualization, editing
shapefiles, working with attribute tables, various geoprocessing functions,
and (as of lately) a pretty decent layout engine. The installer is pretty
straightforward and it's very Windows friendly which can be nice for your
particular audience.

Having said this, I am a supporter of all things open source GIS, so you may
also want to look at gvSIG, UDIG and/or QGIS as good for the K-12 crowd.

Feel free to email me directly (amesdani at isu.edu) or post to the
MapWindow discussion forums (www.mapwindow.org/phorum) if you have any
specific questions on MapWindow.

I suspect there are a few folks on this list who can also say more about
some of the other software I mentioned...

- Dan

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 4:38 PM, T M <calu_gis at yahoo.com> wrote:

>   Hello
>
> My name is Tom Mueller and I am an associate professor in the Department of
> Earth Sciences at California University of Pennsylvania (35 miles southeast
> of Pittsburgh).  I was really disappointed when ESRI dropped ArcExplorer
> Java for Educators (AEJEE) and I have been looking for an alternative to
> develop K - 12 lessons.  I have read a little about MapWindow and I was
> wondering if this group thought this or some other Open GIS package could
> work for the K - 12 environment.
>
> Thank you
> Tom Mueller
>

> "The Boston Celtics are NOT a basketball team, they are a way of life"
> - Red Auerbach

Daniel P. Ames, Ph.D. PE
Associate Professor, Geosciences
Idaho State University - Idaho Falls