[OSGeo-Edu] Map Window

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon Nov 2 19:41:06 EST 2009

Hi Tom,
It's good to meet you and welcome to the list.  I'm sure MapWindow
would work for you, though several projects exist within OSGeo's
stack, in particular: Quantum GIS (http://qgis.org), gvSIG
(http://gvsig.org) and GRASS GIS for desktop GIS packages.

I'm most familiar with Quantum GIS (QGIS) and know it should be more
than enough compared to AEJEE.  I'll let others brag about their
favourites :)  QGIS also runs on all major operating systems, whereas
MapWindow is targeting Windows OS users in particular.  QGIS also comes
bundled with GRASS GIS for additional advanced capabilities.  For
anyone who has not checked out QGIS in the last year or so, I highly
recommend it - the amount of additional built-in and plug-in
functionality has greatly increased.

Several courses and books have been written around using QGIS and
GRASS.  See our courses database for examples.

Of course there are also other desktop GIS outside of OSGeo's
umbrella - e.g. uDig and OpenJUMP to name two.  gvSIG is also a good
package, just that I have not used it much so will leave that to
someone else to talk about.

Best wishes,
Tyler