[OSGeo-Edu] Tracking a GIS Core Curriculum

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Tue Sep 15 09:56:37 EDT 2009

Tyler,

THANKS for posting these questions.  I have been thinking (in part
because of your discussions in Denver)
that this should be the next big collaborative effort by our group.
> My question is, what curriculum framework are people more familiar with
> or believe are more valuable to track?

There is the NCGIS GIScience core curriculum here:
http://www.ncgia.ucsb.edu/giscc/ (dated 2000).
I haven't read the AAG book but it looks interesting.

But I think our group should NOT try and duplicate these kinds of
efforts. What I think we should focus on is *developing a core curriculum
for, perhaps, a "GIS Certificate in Open Source GIS*," to begin.

I think this is a natural next step for our group, and as you suggest,
we could potentially organize or link course material in our database to
a curriculum
structure we as a group come up with. -- I think this is a* great
collaborative goal for this next year*.

Do others agree? Who is willing to help? Anyone willing to take a lead
on this?

Charlie

P.S. My standard follow-up -- anyone have new course material to post to
our database? Anyone have any information on activities for me to post
to our group's blog?