[OSGeo-Edu] Re: [Live-demo] Creating OSgeo training material as part of the OSGeo Live DVD

Stefan Steiniger sstein at geo.uzh.ch
Sat Apr 3 20:25:06 EDT 2010

Hei,

i) what concerns the "one"-page description for the LiveDVD. I can do
that for OpenJUMP if someone sends me a template (there is one?).

ii) OpenOffice is a good start. Another option may be ELML (E-Learning
Markup Language, www.elml.ch). The stuff is written with XML and then it
can be export to html and PDF if CSS styling templates are defined. As
it is XML it can be handled as well pretty nicely with CVS/SVN - i.e.
collaborative development/versioning.

Two examples of ELML-based generated e-learning material are for
instance this GITTA lesson on suitabilty analysis:
http://gitta.info/Suitabilityi/en/html/index.html

and this Cartouche lesson on location based services:
http://www.e-cartouche.ch/content_reg/cartouche/LBSbasics/en/html/index.html

though... working with ELML requires a small learning phase to get to
know the tags and setting up a system [e.g. xml editor in Eclipse]  (not
sure how far the firedocs editor works now)

stefan