[OSGeo-Edu] Infrastructure and templates for training material

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 07:53:50 EDT 2010

OSGeo education list,
I'd like the LiveDVD documentation to adopt standard documentation
templates and guidelines for all the projects installed on it, starting
with Project Descriptions (which we have content for), then increasing
to "Quick Start" project overviews, eventually growing into Tutorials,
Workshops and Course material.

I'm hopeful that the documentation guidelines put in place for the
LiveDVD will align with guidelines for the OSGeo education projects,
hence the reason for starting by approaching this edu marketing list.

A few days back Tom Worthington (experienced in the business on Online
Training), suggested making use of  Open Office and Word templates from
Integrated Content Environment (ICE) http://ice.usq.edu.au/ , developed
by the University of Southern Queensland, Australia, for the
University's lecture creation.

Then use Moodle for collation and presentation of material.

ICE covers the key usability criteria of:
* Tools for creating documentation must be familiar to educators and
developers, so it is easy for people to start writing. (ICE provides a
plug in to word and open office)
* ICE templates allow documents to be created in standard templates,
making it easy to apply consistent styling, and merge documents from
multiple projects into one.
* ICE can produce HTML and PDF documents
* I think ICE docs can be stored in an XML format too, but I haven't
worked out how to do that yet.

Another requirement we have is to be able to produce a standard
PowerPoint (or Open Office Impress) and translate between the two
formats without garbling styling. I'd also like to automatically merge
slides from multiple powerpoint docs. I'm not sure if this is possible.

Does anyone on this list have experience with any of these tools and is
able to offer advise or suggestions?
Or maybe suggest alternative tools, or alternative approaches?

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager

Think Globally, Fix Locally