[OSGeo-Edu] Possible Content Ideas

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Thu Aug 5 06:52:25 EDT 2010

Landon Blake wrote:

> I just finished an article entitled “An Introduction to Open Source
> Software”. I’m currently working on an article entitled “Introduction
> to Vector GIS for Land Surveyors.” The second article will highlight
> the use of open source geospatial software.
>
> Would these articles be appropriate content for the OSGeo Education
> Repository?

I agree with the previous comment -- upload away! However, I'd encourage
you to perhaps seek some feedback on them before you post... a kind of
informal peer review... that is, unless the group wants to try and start
a peer-review process? I've always felt that in our case of building a
repository it is better to "keep the rules lean" so we get content, but
it wouldn't be bad to try to establish some kind of review/feedback
system... any thoughts?

While I've got you - any reactions to the new group wiki material [1] or
the to do list [2] I came up with? Any volunteers to help guide any one
of the tasks?
What I'd like to do over the course of the next month is start a
discussion on a single task/issue on this list to try and move us
forward as a group.

Finally, It's good to see some new material posted to the inventory
system [3]. Thanks Cameron, Ian, Micha and Simon! Anyone along with me
willing to try and establish the new derivatives system? On my end, I
plan to upload updated course material I have in early September.

And one thought I had regarding the quality control issue that Simon was
raising would be to post only links to pdfs with a no derivative license
and then, but have a note saying "contact the author" for source
material. This to me, would allow the author to connect directly with a
potential new derivative author and stipulate whatever concerns they
have (such as "I want to review all revised material before you make it
public").

Cheers

Charlie

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Education_and_Curriculum_Committee