[OSGeo-Edu] Some thoughts on the production of educational materialabout FOSS Geospatial Tools

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Mon Aug 9 11:17:12 EDT 2010

Simon,

You've given an excellent summary of the options for OSGeo education
documentation. Let me share some of my own thoughts.

(1) The Latex learning curve can be a real challenge. In my humble
opinion our selection of Latex as the vehicle for producing the OSGeo
Journal is one of the main reasons for the delay in the publication of
Volume 6.

(2) I don't think we are going to get "good clean" HTML out of Open
Office.

(3) As an author, working in XML is a pain, even with a good XML editor.

For my own written media I found the best solution was:

(1) Write the article in Open Office. This allowed me to take advantage
of spell check and features like headers and footers.

(2) Produce a PDF from the article in Open Office.

(3) Convert the article text into HTML (by hand) using a web article
template.

That is what worked for me. I'm not saying it will work for the OSGeo
education committee. :}

Landon
Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268
Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658