[OSGeo-Edu] Some thoughts on the production of educational materialabout FOSS Geospatial Tools

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 17:05:16 EDT 2010

As identified, making it easy to create good content for authors is more
important than the format it is stored in. Hence my leaning toward
OpenOffice.

A template should be provided to authors, so that all content is
provided in the same format and style. The University of Southern
Queensland in Australia have gone a long way down this path with their
ICE product: http://ice.usq.edu.au/

I wish Docbook was more widely accepted, as it is the best format I've
found for structured text. The best free editor I've found for Docbook
is XXE: http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/
The deficiency of Docbook is that images need to be stored outside of
your docbook file.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Director