[OSGeo-Edu] Some thoughts on the production of educational material about FOSS Geospatial Tools

Kim Tucker kctucker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 21:34:30 EDT 2010

Goodday Simon and all,

Reminders:

For producing the learning materials consider MediaWiki hosted on
WikiEducator or Wikiversity with th‏eir book creation feature in mind:

http://wikieducator.org/Help:Books

and

http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Help:Books

Your web browser probably has spell checking built-in. MediaWiki has
simple markup, includes the history of pages and you can check,  roll
back to or revisit previous versions. You also have the benefit of
MediaWiki's collaborative authoring features - e.g. 'watch' pages and
be e-mailed whenever anyone makes changes, a discussion tab for each
page, etc.

Templates may be designed for consistent presentation of elements of
learning resources. Some examples:

http://wikieducator.org/Quickstart_guide/pedagogical_templates

Both sites (WikiEducator and Wikiversity) use CC-BY-SA for most of
their content.

A custom book may be prepared for various CDs (etc.) that you (or
anyone) may wish to distribute.

For the software, try a web search for 'own distro'. The following
came up when I tried which look quite comprehensive/ promising:

http://www.linuxformat.com/wiki/index.php/Build_your_own_distro

http://www.cyvoc.net/novoweb/index.html

The following might also be of interest:

TeX/LaTeX:
TexMaker: http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/
Kile: http://kile.sourceforge.net/

Document management: