[OSGeo-Edu] Some thoughts on the production of educational materialabout FOSS Geospatial Tools

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 19:19:39 EDT 2010

Charlie,
While I agree that there are 2 types of content authors (collective
authors, and individuals), I still feel that individuals will benefit
greatly from templates and structure.

Templates, document structure, defining target audiences and writing
styles, researching licences, publishing chains, publishing pipelines,
are all time consuming tasks which often require specific expertise to
resolve effectively.

If all these issues can be addressed once, and then given to authors, it
will significantly reduce the barrier of entry to creating documentation
for authors.

And as an added benefit, we as a community will gain consistent, quality
documentation from many more authors.

It is also a non-trivial amount of work to do effectively, and I think
is going to require a hero volunteer, or sponsorship from some
enlightened organisation to kick it off.

Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Director
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254