[OSGeo-Edu] Some thoughts on the production ofeducational materialabout FOSS Geospatial Tools

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Tue Aug 10 12:23:57 EDT 2010

Charlie wrote: "I don't think we need a template for the #1 situation. I
think it adds friction and requirements that will reduce our already
fairly limited submissions.

I think we should develop a template structure if, as a group, we are
going to try and develop the handbooks Venka has proposed (or some other

collaborative document not yet identified).

QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:

1) Do others agree or disagree?"

I agree. I would add that just because we have a document template
doesn't mean we have to require it be used. If the author wants to use
the template, they can.

If I am preparing documentation for OpenJUMP or other open source
geospatial software, and there was a template available, say for Open
Office, then I would use it. (I'm thinking of an Open Office template
that would define standard headers, footers, fonts, and text styles.)

Charlie wrote: "(I'd also like to see if we could, in
parallel, develop Webinars on the subjects or YouTube videos or
something, returning us to the discussion last year about outreach to
the NY State GIS community)."

I recently bit the bullet and bought Camtasia. I was hoping to do some
videos for OpenJUMP. If there was a format and template for OSGeo
Education Committee video materials, I would comply with the format and
use the template. (This could be as simple as a standard opening and
closing video sequence and standard fonts and colors for title slides in
the video.)

In summary, I'd like to make some of my own efforts in documentation and
training coordinate with the larger OSGeo Education Committee effort.

Landon
Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268
Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658