[OSGeo-Edu] Some thoughts on the production of educational materialabout FOSS Geospatial Tools

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Tue Aug 10 11:38:28 EDT 2010

Simon Cropper wrote:
> ******** 2nd thought by SCC **********
>
> why do we need templates. most of the editors looked at, especially open
> source, can save in a variety of formats. If the objective is to make it
> easier for someone to create a derivative then who care what format something
> is in (as long it is not in binary).
I think we have two distinct situations:

(1) authors who are "user-centered innovators" (to use Eric von Hippel's
labeling). They are developing content for their own needs and use and
are willing to share this content;
(2) authors who we are trying to get to "collectively act" in the
development of a document or volume, together.

The first describes what we've been collecting so far on our inventory
system. This second describes where some in the group (Cameron, Venka,
perhaps others) think we should go -- toward the development of a volume
of materials like Cameron has done coordinating the Live DVD effort. In
the IRC, Venka was pushing for our group to try and put together two
handbooks: one on open source DeskTop GIS; one on open source Web GIS.

In my opinion,

I don't think we need a template for the #1 situation. I think it adds
friction and requirements that will reduce our already fairly limited
submissions.

I think we should develop a template structure if, as a group, we are
going to try and develop the handbooks Venka has proposed (or some other
collaborative document not yet identified).

QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:

1) Do others agree or disagree?

2) Should we start an effort to collectively build the handbooks Venka
proposed, following a development strategy that Cameron used for the
Live DVD? If so, we need one or two people to step up as "coordinators"
of the Desktop and Web handbooks. (I'd also like to see if we could, in
parallel, develop Webinars on the subjects or YouTube videos or
something, returning us to the discussion last year about outreach to
the NY State GIS community). I'd also like to see us use this as a way
to connect more closely to the software groups.

Cheers
Charlie