[OSGeo-Edu] OSGeo in academia courses

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sun Aug 29 07:22:46 EDT 2010

Hi Helena,

Helena Mitasova wrote:
> If you would like to have your program or course included on the plenary
> talk slide please email me a link and a title of the course/program.
> We can post this information on the OSGEo Edu website too.

Thanks for doing this inventory, Helena. In addition to this
information, I encourage people to tell Helena whether you'd be willing
to share the syllabus and some/all of the content. This could be great
information for our educational curriculum effort. If the syllabus is
online and you are willing, send a URL too please.

> In addition to NCSU, ASU and Milan I have so far found the folllowing
> (based on OSGEo edu materials, recent conferences and personal contacts):
>
> University of Massachusetts, Amherst: Intro to spatial technology undergrad with QGIS (Charlie you are comming I guess)

My course syllabus and content is here: http://courses.umass.edu/nrc297s/

Unfortunately, I will not be coming to the FOSS4G conference. My
proposed paper presentation, summarizing some of my just completed book
manuscript entitled "Success and Abandonment of Open Source Commons" was
only accepted as a poster, and I couldn't justify using my relatively
limited travel funds to go to an event where I wasn't presenting a
paper. I wish I was going to be there.

Helena, a couple other ideas:

1) If you could mention the "Workbook" effort (where the same exercises
exist using different desktop systems, for example) we are trying start.
I'm going to try and get a beginning wiki page up on that in the next
day or two so you can at least point to that.

2) The other point I encourage you to make is that we need a stronger
connection between the software groups and our efforts (e.g., better
connection between what documents they produce and our inventory
system).  We also need  stronger connections with local  OSGeo group
activities.  If these teams want their software adopted, our educational
efforts are key. I'd also like to figure out how we can do what was
being asked last year --- have software groups do  webinars
demonstrating their various technologies for government use as was being
asked by folks in NY State.

If you want to talk over the phone, Helena, let me know.

Cheers and thanks for flying the flag!