[OSGeo-Edu] Formula for collecting education material that works!

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 07:40:09 EDT 2010

For the OSGeo-Live DVD we have collected over 40 one page project
overviews, and over 20 quick start guides, which all use consistent
formatting.
This content has been collectively contributed from representatives from
each of the projects.
The key to this success can be applied to training material too.

What we have done with OSGeo-Live is set out a template of exactly what
we are looking for, including a sample document, with extensive tips on
how to fill the documentation in.

I've then chased projects to create material, and then followed up by
reviewing created material and providing feedback to ensure consistency.

I believe this exact formula will work for creating training material too.

1. Have someone create a sample training project, which is used as a
template for all training documents. This template is targeted at a
specific training need (eg University course)
2. Add writing tips to the document, in order to make it very easy to
create the material
3. Get education community review to refine the template
4. Invite communities to build training material in accordance with the
template.
5. Follow up with review of material to ensure consistency of material