[OSGeo-Edu] Cataloguing FOSS4G content

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Wed Mar 10 18:16:16 EST 2010

Charlie Schweik wrote:
> Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>
>> Hi all, anyone thoughts about how we could help collate and catalogue
>> the freely available versions of workshops and presentations that exist
>> online from past FOSS4G events?  I'm thinking we could add them to the
>> educational content inventory system.  Make sense??
>>
>> If so, maybe a few of us could volunteer to take on one of the years
>> events or even share one year with another person.  It would take a
>> little digging but hopefully not too much.
>>

> These are great ideas... anyone willing to take this on? Also, Tyler, is
> it possible for next year's conference to ask people to consider using
> our inventory system for storing of their material?
>
> Reminder -- If you are doing something OSGeo edu related for your own
> needs/purposes, please keep in mind about "donating" or contributing
> what you are doing to this group. This follows the "user generated
> innovation, peer-production model" that open source is known for. We
> really should be able to do more than we are currently following this
> approach. Please contact me if you are doing something but are not sure
> it is relevant for our group...
>
> Cheers
> Charlie

Charlie,
I think we (the education committee) will have more success collecting
and maintaining material if set about building a structure specifying
how we would like material specified.
Ie, Something like a text book of Open Source Components, where each
project represents a chapter. Or structure base on use cases, which are
driven from education training units.

Then follow through with template structures.
I realise what I'm proposing is a lot of work, but it would result in
huge gains if put in place.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager